This semester for small groups we are using The New City Catechism: 52 Questions and Answers for Our Hearts and Minds published by The Gospel Coalition. Our children's and adult's small group will both be working through the material in this book.
We take a similar stance to John Piper in his article “A Baptist Catechism” found on his website, Desiring God and summarized by Pastor Martie below:
The English word "catechize" simply means to teach biblical truth in an orderly way. John Piper explains the biblical support for a pattern of doctrine: there is a "pattern of teaching" (Romans 6:17), a "pattern of sound words" (2 Timothy 1:13). He gives five reasons why we should catechize:
1. We are required to “continue in the faith, stable and steadfast” (Colossians 1:23).
2. We are urged to “attain to the unity of the... knowledge of the Son of God...so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about by every wind of doctrine” (Ephesians 4:13-14).
3. There are many deceivers (1 John 2:26).
4. There are difficult doctrines “which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction” (2 Peter 3:16).
5. Leaders must be raised up who can “give instruction in sound doctrine and also confute those who contradict it” (Titus 1:9).
We firmly believe this will be a tool by which parents are better equipped to lead their children, the saints will be more firmly rooted in the truth of the gospel and better equipped to share it with others.
You can download The New City Catechism mobile app here!
Below is a video from the The Gospel Coalition that provides an introduction to The New City Catechism